Mideast Daily News

Tillerson Blasts Iran and Nuclear Deal; Says Policy Review Underway

By Michael Friedson | The Media Line

April 20, 2017

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson speaks during the second annual U.S.-Saudi Arabia CEO Summit at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, on April 19, 2017 in Washington, DC. (Photo: Mark Wilson/Getty Images)
mail

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Wednesday called Iran “the world’s leading sponsor of terrorism” and said that the nuclear agreement it signed with Western nations including the United States will not achieve the goal articulated by the previous administration: to prevent the Islamic Republic from obtaining nuclear weapons. The SecState’s dismissal of the nuclear development agreement comes only a day after the Trump State Department headed by Tillerson issued a determination to Congress that Tehran is complying with terms of the agreement so far, albeit pointing out that even if it lives up to the pact 100 per cent, Iran will still be able to obtain nuclear weapons within a short time span. He said the government is conducting a review of all policies relative to Iran after detailing Iran’s “alarming ongoing provocations” including its support for the region’s main antagonists, including the Houthis in Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Hamas and Hizbullah in Lebanon. He declared that “Iran’s provocative actions threaten the United States, the region and the world.” Pro-Iranian groups immediately denied

 

mail
Print Friendly, PDF & Email
rssyoutube